MORE ABOUT BIRDS ON A WIRE
Thunderkick did not hang around when they first launched, that’s for sure. After wowing us with their debut release, Esqueleto Explosivo in early 2014, dazzling games Magicious and Flux quickly followed, before later that year they dropped the Bird bomb!
Birds on a Wire is classic Thunderkick slot game – a unique and innovative design mixed with the best features – in this case, Dropping Reels with Multipliers.
It’s one game that made everyone sit up and take notice!
The Droppping Symbols feature has been used in one guise or another in a few of Thunderkick’s slots – that Mexican Day of the Dead one we’ve already mentioned for starters, but also in Frog Grog and Babushkas (if you think carefully!).
The designs and animations here are really cool and clever, but don’t let that distract you from the fact this is a high variance game that won’t let you take anything away without a fight!
Some Key Facts About Birds on a Wire Slot
- Birds on a Wire comes in at 5 reels and 17 paylines and it can be played from 10p to £100 per spin.
- There are seven basic symbols in the game – birds of different colors, shapes and sizes. The brown hen (?!) is the highest paying at 12x for five in a row.
- The Bonus symbol is a bird in a bag (you just see its beady eyes!) – three or more set off Free Spins.
- There is a wild symbol – a bird with a green circle around it – substitutes for all others except the Bonus.
- The maximum win is 9,000x!
- Birds on a Wire is also a song by Leonard Cohen.
Birds on a Wire Gameplay – How It Works
The key to understanding Birds on a Wire is the Dropping Symbols feature – you may have seen this in other Thunderkick games or famously in NetEnt’s Gonzo’s Quest where it is called Avalanche Reels.
This is how it works:
When a winning line is created, the winning birds are electrocuted by the wire under their feet and replaced by the birds above. The spaces they leave are filled in turn by birds that fly in from the left of the screen.
You can sit back and watch once a winning line comes in – the game will continue to play with ‘re-spins’ until there are no more winning lines.
With each ‘re-spin’ you get a multiplier increase up to 5x.
And that’s how the base game plays!
Birds on a Wire Free Spins and Multipliers Round
Of course, things get bigger and better if you can land three or more Bonus Symbols and trigger the Bonus Round which goes like this:
- Free Spins – start with 10 FREE SPINS, and get another 2 for every extra Bonus symbol that pitches when you trigger the bonus round. With 15 spots on the reels, that’s up to 34 Free Spins to be claimed.
- Multipliers – In the Bonus Round the multipliers that come with Dropping Symbols get boosted so that the lowest is 4x and the highest is 20x.
- Inwinity Spin – A clever feature we’ve seen on Barber Shop Uncut since it first appeared here, Inwinity Spin gives you a GUARANTEED WIN at the end of the Bonus Round. The reels keep going until you hit a payline.
How To Win at Birds on a Wire
One of our favourite slot titles here at The Slot Buzz is no pushover. You’ll have to work at it to bring out a big win, so here’s a few pointers to help you.
- Watch Out For Multiplier Boosts – Dropping Symbols games are always all about the multipliers that come with consecutive wins. Sit back, cross your fingers and hope they keep coming!
- Head for the Bonus Round – Like all high variance games, Birds on a Wire lures you in but it will frustrate the hell out of you until you hit the bonus round. This is where the top prizes lie and the top 20x multiplier is there to help you over the winning line!
- Inwinity Spins Consolation – Whatever happens, with Inwinity Spins you won’t go down empty handed that’s for sure. Look out for this feature at the end of the bonus game.
- Play Smart – choose a stake level based on your bankroll and don’t burn through your cash too quick. I start at 10p a spin to get the feel of the game, or even play free first. Remember, volatile games can play dry for a long time before you hit that bonus round.
- Check our Recommended Thunderkick Slot Sites – Our full list of the best Thunderkick slot sites is the best place to start when looking for a casino that hosts this game. All these sites are UK licensed.
THE SLOT BUZZ VERDICT
Ready for some Dropping Symbols action then? You better be – for our money Birds on a Wire is one of Thunderkick’s best releases, up there with Flame Busters and Pink Elephants. Maybe not quite as intricate with the graphics and design, but still tons of fun.